|Attending:||Attending were: Julie P, Dan S, Gerald N, Stellan L, Michael W & Stu C|
|Call to order:||The meeting was called to order at 1238 Prescott Ave. by President Julie Porter
at 20:07 Tuesday 15 June 2010
Report of Officers
- Received email confirming registration for lecture on accelerometers etc. all day Thursday, June 17th.
- Julie can’t go. Does anyone else want to?
- Michael W reported that we still have money
- An update to the members list is in the works
- Is still working on bank statements and back taxes. We may have to do manual data entry.
- There are six and a half years of data to catch up on.
- Nothing to report (because Michael W forgot to bring the paper copies of SI100 notice, etc, that were recently filed on behalf of the group).
Outreach & News
- Maker Faire booth went very well.
- We had a prominent table in front of the HRP and model rocket groups.
- Stellan had the mockup of the BiProp rocket, which stood taller than any other exhibit
- Dan brought several engines along:
- a 5 lb thruster engine,
- a 30 lb POGO engine
- one of Kevin’s spun-cast 50 lb engines, and
- the KISS engine, tank and pressurant module
- Michael used his laptop and Gerry’s projector to show launch videos, presentations and data
- The people who staffed the booth spent a lot of time talking to passer’s by
- Despite lots of interest, no new joiners so far
State of Test Site
- Dan reported on site issues.
- Plumbing and ditch work is needed
- Brush clearing work needed too
- The old blockhouse forms need to come down and a new structure built
- We discussed the possibility of doing static engine testing at NASA Ames
- It would take contact with (and the likely intervention of) Center Director Pete Worden, but that might be possible.
- We should probably not approach him until we are ready to do some actual testing.
- Stewart C volunteered to take part in a “Notional” committee to initiate when, assisted by Michael W.
State of Engines
- Dan showed some preliminary lathe work on an Inconel 718 catalyst-pack base
- Temperatures within the cat pack are expected to be about 1300K, much hotter below, thus necessitating Inconel
State of Vehicles
- The mockup shown at Maker Faire has been stored at Stewart’s place
- Dan discussed the possibility of flying the K.I.S.S. vehicle again, for practice/experience
- Possible improvements (for K.I.S.S. IV) might include:
- higher tank loads (previous flights were just 1 gallon of 85% HTP)
- higher HTP concentrations with newer cat packs
- constant pressure option (vs. the “blowdown” used previously)
- stronger fin attachments to support Mach 1+ speeds
- Michael Wallis and Gerald Nordley are still working on getting an updated document put together.
- Possible new meeting sites
- Michael Wallis mentioned the Denny’s at Mathilda and 101
- Julie mentioned Hacker Dojo
- There seemed no immediate reason to change.
- Michael mentioned preliminary work on a wiki for the group has been done and content is needed
He’ll try to move content from older versions of the web site to the wiki.
- Stellan moved to adjourn at 2132, seconded by Stewart C
The Meeting adjourned without opposition at 21:25 15 Jun 2010
General Meeting #351